We're moving to 1038 Hillside!
On September 2nd, we’re going to hit our most exciting milestone yet. We’re opening a workshop!
The practical details:
- 1038 Hillside Ave.
- Open from 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday. We will not offer Sunday pickup for the moment, to ensure we can spend time with our families.
- First day open is September 2nd.
- Any order placed before midnight on August 29th can be picked up at our old location, 2566 Prior St.
- Any order from August 30 onward can be picked up at 1038 Hillside Ave.
I can’t believe this is really happening. We started making masks in March. In April they started to sell. In May, the orders got overwhelming and we hired a sewist to help. In June, that sewist, Ivy, became a partner. In July, Shannon, who was helping from the start, became a partner as well. We hired seven (7!) more sewists to keep up with demand.
And in August, we realized that we had outgrown the little packaging and distribution centre in Karmen’s uninsulated, ladder-accessible, low-ceilinged attic, and that it was time to open a real workshop.
Finding a space was harder than we expected. Despite all the vacant commercial properties I found around town, very few of the dozen or so landlords I called or emailed actually answered.
That’s why when Treena answered my query about her space for rent immediately, via text message, and set up a showing with me with in five minutes, I had a good feeling.
The good feeling continued when Karmen and I went for the viewing. Here’s what we found:
- A wheelchair ramp for accessibility.
- Parking out back for those who drive.
- A storefront in the heart of Quadra Village for those who walk.
- A secure, enclosed indoor area where we can place masks for 100% contactless pickup.
- Two bathrooms and enough space inside for several people to social distance, including our immunocompromised staff who have even more strict requirements than most people.
- In-suite laundry so that we can continue to launder our fabric as it arrives.
- A kitchen, so we can eat frugally and stay caffeinated.
- A friendly neighbour in the tattoo shop upstairs.
And most important - a welcoming and communicative landlord who is dedicated to our success.
I don’t know how long this ride is going to last, but as long as it does we will be hard at work providing comfortable, stylish and well-made face coverings at a great price for our community. Thanks for coming with us.
The Kindness Factory
PS. Thanks for reading to the end. Here's Snoopy.